Monday, August 15, 2005

Holy Boredom

This past Sunday I went to church for the first time it what seemed like months. On my way to church I thought "I'm kind of excited and I've kind of missed church." Turns out I was wrong. I was fidgety ALL through it. I was lucky to have my 18 month old niece there to keep me busy and entertained at least for the first hour. I sat there and listened and thought, "man....this is going to be a LONG three hours." I got up more then six times over the course of the three hours to get drinks and go to the bathroom. Of course those two are probably related. It was pretty boring except when I was feeling really socially uncomfortable. Some of the speakers did a terrible job. I didnt expect much as they were 14, 15, and 16 year old girls. I actually got up during one talk and walked out it was so terrible. I felt so uncomfortable listening to this girl drone on and on about nothing, make awkward pauses and inappropriate jokes. It felt like someone dropped the ball on that one. They at least should have been given a scripture to use, jeez.

The last two hours went by at a snails pace. I really wanted to just leave but I figured I would suddenly add a new goal to my ever expanding list. Attend church for all three hours for a whole month, in the very least it kept me in my seat. Sunday school was mildly amusing. And priesthood was alright, though I didnt like the teacher. We talked about marraige and how to treat your wife. My most favorite subjects right? What with my marraige and all just around the corner.

Speaking of marraige we had my cousins reception at my house on Saturday. 150 people came. Out of the 150 I'd say 25-30% asked me when I was getting married, when my "turn" was, when the "big date is", or if I was "geting married/hitched soon". According to my parents, my mom mostly because my dad I think has learned to say nothing on the subject to me, they were just making conversation. You know I dont know anyone that tries to start up conversations asking about other peoples major life decision and or changes. "So when is it your turn to get divorced?" or "I heard you got a 100 on the LSAT, what college's do you think will let you in with that score?" See how it just doesnt really fit in a low key social setting. Heck, forget low key I cant think of any social setting where that's ok, except maybe between therapist and patient. I know those are more negative inquaires but it still proves my point. I mean in Mormon culture not getting married is like getting divorced. Plain and simple. So why would people feel its an appropriate conversation starter? I finally got fed up and one lady got the brunt of my frustration. She asked "So are you getting married now?" (what a dumbass) I was proud of my restraint bytheway. I said, "No, I'm not!" I was pretty forceful and kind of short with her and dang it felt good. I could tell I caught her totally off guard because she stammered for a second with a response, her eyebrows went waaaaay up and she did this half smile that's really more of a show of pain and embarASSment then understanding. Like I said it felt good. I guess passing on some of the uncomfortablness I felt when asked that question alleviated my earlier frustration.

I'm going to lunch though I've got more to add.

2 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the "how to rekindle your marriage" lesson in Elder's Quorum on sunday. Suprisingly, I didn't leave feeling bad I'm not married yet. I can relate to the struggling to sit through church thing. In Chile they've switched to a two-hour block with Sunday school and priesthood/relief society alternating each week. In the daily universe a letter to the editor suggested a special church schedule for those of us with latent ADD.
Until one of those changes happens here, I guess I'll use your water/bathroom break strategy. It also helps to find a friend to exchange cynical comments with during classes.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger el veneno said...

I like White Shmuck, Couldn't Beat Me In Any Kind Of Race Seth for the Bakersfield one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home