Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Quantum Mechanics and Childhood(I think the title is better then the post)

I've once again cleaned off my desk. I cant believe I'm being so productive this week. Usually I just stretch one or two projects over a weeks time, mostly because I can. I mean I could just get right down to the task and get it done but then I wouldnt have anything to do and I'd be back here blogging again. So in order to help you, the reader, out I space my projects out so I dont bombard you daily with new whit and wonder from my very creative brain. Creative...bored its like hairsbreath away from each other for me. But in being more productive this week I've found that the day does indeed go by much faster and thus the week in turn flies by. Why it's already Wednesday.
I remember when I was a kid I used to think that the sooner you went to sleep the sooner the next day would come. So I'd see my brother or sister asleep at night and think they're probably already getting up. I wonder what they're doing. Funny huh? Guess you dont really grasp the concept of time that well. In fact I thinkI remember the very first time I realized that half an hour is like chump change. I was 9 or 10 and I was supposed to go to my friend Neil's house for something or other. He and I were pretty much brothers. Anyways, I was employed in that time honored tradition of asking just how much longer I was going to have to wait for the festivities to begin. My mom pointed to the clock and said "Its 10 right now, you're going at 10:30, think you can occupy yourself for that long?" I looked at the clock and I was absolutely STUNNED by the seemingly insignificant amount of time I had to wait. I ran off without answering, probably on a mission to beat the hell out of Koopa and his Kids on Mario World 3. I loved finding those whistles didnt you? And the giant level, some of the truly sublimest(if its not a word it should be) Nintendo artistry ever devised.
But I remember that before that point, time was totally elastic to me. Minutes were incomprehsible. Hours might well have been days. I mean the three hour block of church were like eons. I'd go in the morning be in classes and Sacrament meeting and come out and think, "it feels like a whole day has gone by." But after that afternoon time calcified into its current ridgid state. Minutes are now comprehensible but are easily the pennies of time and are thus disregarded in small piles here and there, some even in mason jars. Hours are more standard but most things get measured in four hour blocks. 8 till noon, 1 till 5. "Working" hours. Funny how something like your perception of time can just come to life like that huh? Anyways, I still cant believe its already Wednesday. Time flies, once your past age 9 or 10 aparently, or at least once you've realized how short a half hour is. Speaking of which, I've been at this for about that so I think I'll wrap it up. Dont want to pack too much FUN and interesting reading into one post, I might tire you boys out. If that happens call the fire department or a vet because monkeys will be flying out my butt.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger el veneno said...

Time is an interesting concept. I can't believe I just spent my time reading that post--nah, actually it was pretty insightful and definitely a topic I will bring up several times when I have nothing else to talk about with my Marriott Center buddies.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Seth said...

I think we were reading each other's blogs and posting on them at the exact same instant the coincidence of it all is too fantastic. A post about time, us posting at the same time...just wierd. I'm glad I can provide discussion fodder for the kids at the Marriot Center. Lord knows you guys need stuff to occupy you while you clean up sweat and other peoples chewing gum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home