Friday, September 16, 2005

My Taste in Music is Struck Down

Last Saturday I opened up my beautiful little 12'' Mac laptop and found I had let the battery run down. So I plugged it in and started it back up. I was looking to listen to some music as I ironed. Its a favorite past time of mine. It keeps my attention focused on the ironing and not say the television screen. I've had occasion to look down after 15 minutes and realized that one portion of my shirt is extremely well ironed because I've continously passed over it for the last 15 minutes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The rest of it still looks like the thing that gave birth to all wrinkles. So as I readied myself to iron; plugging things in, hitting switches and listening for the water to turn to steam I glanced over at my itunes display and was suprised to notice it said I had 18hours worth of songs instead of the 2.5 DAYS worth I had the last time I opened the program. I was shocked and bewildered. I closed it down and started it back up again. But to no avail. My entire library of music had been whipped off the face of the earth.

But I still had my trusty ipod....

In an error not unlike that of Apolo 13 I plugged my ipod into my laptop thinking, all I have to do is that routine backup and it will restore all my songs. Instead of venting oxygen into outter space I vented all my songs into that computer generated ethereal space.

I plugged my ipod in and zap, in a few seconds my other back up library of music was whipped out. This time by my own hands. I felt like Ceasar, "etu ipod?" I just sat there starring at the screen. All my CDs, all my college roomates CDs gone in a flash.

"At least I have all my favorite CD's in my car."

Fast forward to Wednesday of this week. I got all dressed and ready to go to work. I strolled out to my car and unlocked it. Slumped down in the drivers seat and suddenly got that feeling that somethings not right here. My glove box was open, as was the center consol, and the change drawer. "What the heck!?" I exclaimed. I looked in the back seat and there was all my back seat junk alive and well. That's when I turned back forward looked down between my seats where I stick my CD case, well where I used to stick my CD case. It was gone. Along with about four years worth of my favorite disks. I got out of the car circled around to the other side where I noticed the passanger door was unlocked and a part of the window casing was torn up. "Oh man...this SUCKS!" I said to myself. I had been robbed. Robbed blind of all my music. Well whoever it was I hope they like a mix of latin, reggae and rock cause that's what they're getting. I was left with six CDs I collected from the back seat, the CD player itself and underneath one seat. I've got a Norah Jones CD, one CD from that limited edition Bob Marley boxset, Guero, the sound track to Master & Commander, the What Women Want soundtrack and Maroon 5s first disc. I'm not exactly beaming about my measely six CDs.

In the course of a week and a half all the music I loved to listen to was erased or stolen. I guess someone was trying to tell me to get better taste or spend less time listening to music. Well, I got the message loud and clear, not like I had a choice. I guess I wont be buying myself that new ipod nano for my birthday. I mean in the very least it will easily fit my meager CD collection.

So now I'm starting all over from scratch. I think I'll start with Bob Marley's Legend CD. Its a classic and something I'm going to need to get through buying all the others. I mean where can I find another "Latin Mix" made by my friend Trisha that we used to salsa dance to? Or how am I going to replace Donde Estan Los Ladrones, that I bought at a huge tiangui in La Perla, Mexico City? What about my Weezer CDs that kept me company on the long bus rides through the English country side while I was on Study Abroad?

I know I can buy new Cds of the exact same music, and the music itself is what I associate with those experiences. But until I can buy them again, I'm basically out 375 memories and that's a conservative estimate, VERY conservative. That's 25Cds with 15 songs apiece. Lousy theiving jerks, stupid computer glich. I guess I'll just start to buy one CD a month. Those of you that still read my blog, please feel free to make suggestions as to what and who I should buy next. And for those of you that just bought a Mac and Ipod...beware. Don't put your trust in the arm of the electronic because it will fail you. And dont suppose locked doors are any sort of a hinderance to dishonest persons seeking to increase thier CD collection or available funds.

Well that's about it.

Oh man!!...they also took all the quarters in my little storage bin...son of a B!!

1 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger el veneno said...

That sucks. Funny how luck and bad luck seem to come in torrential downpours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home