Friday, September 23, 2005

Just Different Stuff

I think I've read every blog that each one of my friends is connected to. That is saying something. because its like a family tree out there in blogdom. I have noticed a huge error though. My friend Seth doesnt have a link to his blog page, whereas my friends Robb and Derek do. That just isnt fair and I totally appoligize Seth. You'll forgive me I hope as it was a total accident.

I really have nothing to say today. I think I blogged myself out. I definitely enjoyed the summer as far as blogging went because people updated their stuff so often. Now everyone's in school and doing homework and what not so I dont get to feel nearly as included as I used to. Also reading your friends blogs is a great cure for boredom but that kind of goes without saying.

I went to institute last night with my friend Bo. He sure is a good kid. Low key, fun, just relaxing to hang out with. The subject was good, it was section 2 from the D&C. Not exaclty the longest section ever but it probably contains some of the most important verses ever recorded. Imagine that, last night I studied some of the most important words ever penned. It's pretty cool when you think about it. I guess I did do something meaningful this week.

Bo invited me to go with him to some dance down in LongBeach. It's tonight. I don't really want to go. Big crowds at social gatherings bother me. I dont know where I'm supposed to be or what I'm supposed to be doing, especially at a dance. I confessed to Bo last night, as we rode home, that I get very timid and feel awkward in big social settings. And he unexpectedly chimed in, "so do I man, I get so uncomfortable." I was suprised by this comment but didn't really pursue it. I commented further that I could only dance to something with steps otherwise I just hold a cup and stand around. This comment brought a laugh. The thought occured to me, we're both uncomfortable in the situation we're going to put ourselves in yet, we're actually putting ourselves in it, why would we do this? I didn't say anything about it but I probably will later during the car ride down.

We both know one person at the dance. Jenny. A girl I made out with a couple of times and tried to and then decided not to date. It's funny, I think she likes Bo. Poor guy. She says she'll find a place for us to stay the night down there. So what I'm going to do tonight is voluntarily put myself in a very uncomfortable, potentially very unfun position. Not have the option to get out of that position until the next day. Robb is saying "good for you man, it'll make you grow." And I say, "I havn't grown an inch since I was 15 and I've grown accustomed to my height."

I do need to do something about my social life though. Things are already kind of rolling. I've made a new friend, I go to institute once or twice a week, I go to YSA firesides. I guess the uncomforableness of a dance is the next step. Maybe I'll even meet some hot girls and dance slow dances with them. Maybe I won't have to jump about trying to dance but looking like my joints have been fused. We can only hope.

I'm really looking forward to Conference next week. I'm excited to see my friends and to get to go to the conference center. Admittedly, I'm also excited to be in a place where there are lots of people my age. It's going to be fun to just be able to do something of the old fun things I used to do in Provo. Like playing golf on a Friday afternoon, or going to the first showing of a movie I want to see. And lets not forget all the eating that's going to be going on. Tucanos here I come. And the meal's on me boys, and hopefully girls.

3 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

during my counselling sessions this week (aka student conferences) I had a student write about the same issue: he get uncomfortable in situations where he doesn't know most of the people; otherwise, he says he's very out-going. We discussed this and related it back to why he hates this personal essay assignment. From what I gathered, it relates back to feeling uncomfortable sharing personal information with others, which - I think - stems from the fact that he's not sure who he is, or at least who he should present himself to be when he meets someone new. It will be interesting to see if he comes to the same conclusion that I did.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Seth said...

dude, where are you today, I thought I'd at least see you online briefly and I havnt. I post this blog post and BAM there you are commenting. What the heck!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger el veneno said...

Seth,
I'm a little jealous cause as I'm alone in my room on a Friday night you're in Long Beach, Califrigganornia at a dance. It will come to no surprise to you that I'm equally or perhaps more scared of dancing as you, but its something I really really want to get over. Way to be. And way to offer Tucanos to us. I guess we'll be friends a little bit longer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home